On visit to the “Decorated Icon Exhibit at Cathedral of Christ the Savior” located at Ulitsa Volkhonka, in Moscow, an exhibit of Orthodox icons from the 13th to 20th centuries was open to the public at the Fine Arts Center of the tallest Orthodox Church in the world. Private collectors contributed to the exhibition of the Cathedral of Christ the Savior in Moscow. This exhibit was made possible by private collectors. The fine pearl beading made the icons exceptional. Byzantine crosses and religious icon figures with precious stones amazed all.
One of the most imposing and controversial buildings in Russia, the resurrected Cathedral of Christ the Savior has had a short but turbulent history it was singled out by the Soviet government for destruction and, in 1931, blown to pieces the site turned over to become an open-air swimming pool, the largest in the world, which was kept at a temperature of 27°C all year round.
The symbolic significance of the site was reaffirmed after the fall of the Soviet Union, when ambitious Moscow Mayor Yuri Luzhkov joined forces with the Orthodox Church to resurrect the cathedral in a $360-million dollar reconstruction project completed in 2000.
The exquisite ornamentation of the icons seemed to prove their divine power and sanctity. All descriptions of famous icons began with the list of precious stones leaving exposed only the face, hands and feet. The decoration of icons was considered a visual manifestation of prayers and highly esteemed as a virtue.