The Acropolis of Athens, Greece, a monument of great architectural and historic significance, came in second after the Angkor site in Cambodia on a list composed recently by the American news network CNN about the most beautiful world heritage sites.
CNN made this list after the announcement that two people undertook the purchase of the most expensive vacation ever. The men, a Chinese student and an Italian businessman, will visit all 962 UNESCO World Heritage Sites in two years and the total cost of this luxury expedition, organized by the website VeryFirstTo.com, will surpass $1.5 million.
The survey listed the top 20 sites in the world. Of the Acropolis, CNN wrote: “The ancient Greek monument is enchanting whether someone walks on the rock or he admires it from a distance”.
According to CNN the most beautiful World Heritage Sites are the following:
1. Angkor, Cambodia
2. Acropolis, Greece
3. Bagan, Myanmar (Burma)
4. Galápagos Islands, Ecuador
5. Göreme National Park and the Rock Sites of Cappadocia, Turkey\
6. Great Barrier Reef, Australia
7. Hampi, India
8. Iguazu National Park, Brazil and Argentina
9. Los Glaciares National Park, Argentina
10. Machu Picchu, Peru
11. Mont-Saint-Michel, France
12. Petra, Jordan
13. Pyramids of Giza, Egypt
14. Rapa Nui, Chile
15. Serengeti National Park, Tanzania
16. Sigiriya, Sri Lanka
17. Tulum, Mexico
18. Valletta, Malta
19. Venice and its lagoon, Italy