The American Hellenic Educational Progressive Association (AHEPA), a leading membership-based association for the nation’s three million American citizens of Greek heritage and Philhellenes, will mobilize its chapters, and work in cooperation with the International Orthodox Christian Charities (IOCC), to help with humanitarian relief efforts for the people of Greece, announced Supreme President Dr. John Grossomanides.
“The humanitarian crisis in Greece is dire,” Dr. Grossomanides said. “This is an opportunity to answer a clarion call to help the people of Greece. We appeal to Greek American organizations and the community at large to answer the call.”
AHEPA will help by:
- Identifying private sector/corporate partners to donate medical supplies.
- Making available its 501(c)(3) AHEPA Foundation, Inc. to receive contributions that will directly pay for the shipment and acquisition of medical supplies and food.
- Mobilizing AHEPA Greece chapters to liaison with the Greek Ministry of Education to execute a food voucher program for schools.
- Working together with International Orthodox Christian Charities (IOCC) to assist with the acquisition of medical supplies and food.
- Mobilizing AHEPA family chapters.
- Reaching out to all Greek-American organizations asking them to contribute financially to AHEPA’s program. Funds will go directly to pay for the shipment and acquisition of medical supplies and food.
“AHEPA’s inquiry into how the organization could assist for a national level began in October of 2011,” said Dr. Grossomanides, who is also leveraging his professional relationships in the pharmaceutical industry to seek assistance.
“AHEPA examined the logistical challenges of providing aid efficiently and cost-effectively to those in need in meetings with the IOCC and the Embassy of Greece in Washington, and came to the conclusion that this was the best course of action. In the interim, our fourteen chapters in Greece have been providing critical services to their respective communities whether it has been purchasing medical supplies or equipment for hospitals or feeding the needy.”
He added, “We look forward to working in partnership with the IOCC, an extremely effective relief organization, to assist with the acquisition of medical supplies and food.”
To donate to AHEPA Foundation, Inc. online, visit www.ahepa.org and click “Contribute.”